Requirements, Areas & Cost
Certification Requirements & Annual RenewalEvery certification program requires successful completion of a core curriculum. The following recaps the requirements to earn and maintain the CTA designation:
- Complete required pre-class reading (approx. 150 pages) and learning assignments
- Attend half-day, interactive classroom session
- Complete open-book examination
- Complete annual renewal of certification (50 points per year by visiting attractions, attending networking events, reading, volunteering, etc.)
Upon earning your CTA designation, you will enjoy many program benefits!Upon completion of all certification program requirements, you'll be awarded the Certified Tourism AmbassadorTM designation and may use the CTA initials behindyour name, e.g. John Sample, CTA, for as long as you maintain your designation.
Is There a Program in My Area?
The CTA program is administered at the local level by a tourism-related entity that has become accredited to offer the program. To see if there's a CTA program in your area, go to CTA Destinations.
What Does it Cost?
CTA annual fees are subsidized by the local administrator and kept low to encourage participation. There is a modest, one-time enrollment fee and a modest annual certification renewal fee. Both are $49 or under per year, which equates to less than $1.00 per week. The specific fees for your area are shown within the enrollment application.
Who Should Enroll?
Anyone who is directly or indirectly involved in serving visitors (leisure travelers, business travelers, spectators, attendees) may enroll. See the list below.
Aligning the Entire Destination in Support of Tourism
CTAs from all parts of the industry are joining together as one big team. In destinations of all sizes, the CTA program has successfully aligned the following sectors. Why? Because they ALL benefit from a positive visitor experience!
- Attraction & Activities (museum, cultural, gaming, sports, etc.)
- City/County/State Government (mayors, city council, police)
- Citizens / Volunteers
- Convention Centers / Conference Centers
- Downtown Merchants
- Economic Development / Workforce Development
- Higher Education (universities, community colleges)
- Hotel / Lodging (hotel, motel, B&B, RV park, etc.)
- Restaurants (upscale, café, etc.)
- Shopping / Retail (malls, districts, etc.)
- Facilities / Arenas (sporting events, festivals, etc.)
- Transportation (shuttle, cab, limo, public transit, etc.)
- Tourism Entities (DMO, CVB, Chamber, etc.)
- Other (corporations, banking, etc.)
To enroll, click here.
To start a program in your destination, Contact Us.